Saturday, October 2, 2010

Inspirations, etc...

 I thought I'd share a few of my recent inspirations...

MUSIC-
I've been listening to a lot of T.Rex, Built to Spill, and Fever Ray.

Marc Bolan (of T.Rex) was sure an interesting guy, and goes largely unrecognized in America. He does have a few radio-friendly songs, I'm sure you've heard a couple. I enjoy that he was border-line obsessed with something he never fully grasped. It's poetic that he sings about cars in nearly every song, yet he never learned to drive, fearing a premature death. He was killed in a car accident at 30 years of age. His music makes me want to hop on a train with a backpack, directionless, vagabond-style.

Built to Spill, I've always liked them. Lately they never stay out of my head for too long. I remember in high school I refused to pursue an otherwise “cool” guy because he didn't know who they were. Looking back, that's really funny. I was so into music and since moving from Seattle to San Diego, haven't really found many new bands to get into. Seattle has such a vibrant music scene, there's only one venue I really like in San Diego, and it's rare when a really good band plays. Russian Circles is playing later this month, super excited to see them again.

Fever Ray is new to me. She reminds me of Bjork, mixed with Portishead, and maybe Enya (gross!).
I've never really been into Electronic or however you'd classify her music, but it's definitely catchy. Still not sure if I really “like” it, but I've been listening to it lots! Her voice is sweet, and her lyrics crack me up.

“When I Grow Up” - Fever Ray

When I grow up, I want to be a forester
Run through the moss on high heels
That’s what I’ll do, throwing out boomerang
Waiting for it to come back to me
When I grow up, I want to live near the sea
Crab claws and bottles of rum
That’s what I’ll have staring at the seashell
Waiting for it to embrace me
I put my soul in what I do
Last night I drew a funny man
with dark eyes and a hanging tongue
It goes way bad, I never liked a sad look
From someone who wants to be loved by you
I’m very good with plants
When my friends are away
they let me keep the soil moist
On the seventh day I rest
for a minute or two
then back on my feet and cry for you oooh oh
You’ve got cucumbers on your eyes
Too much time spent on nothing
waiting for a moment to arise
The face in the ceiling and arms too long
I wait for him to catch me
Waiting for you to embrace me



BOOKS-
I'm re-reading “Moby Dick” by Herman Melville, I recently found a similar book titled “Heart Of The Sea” that's based on the same tragedy in Moby Dick. I wanted to re-read Moby Dick before reading the other book because it's been years, and is largely responsible for inspiring the tattoos I have. My entire left arm has an “Ocean Peril” theme; at the top there is a giant squid taking down a ship in a splashing sea. There's an anchor on the inside of my arm, and at the bottom a pin-up style lady who's being devoured by an angry looking great white shark. Lots of waves.

I also just picked up my favorite book again. After loaning it to a friend I finally got it back. I've read it maybe 3 times and always appreciate reading it because it gives me an interesting perspective on life in general. “Breakfast of Champions” by Kurt Vonnegut. Read it. You won't be disappointed, and if you are it's because you don't appreciate good literature!

ART-
Currently I'm really inspired by Shepard Fairey, AKA the guy behind the “Obey” artwork. I do appreciate his artwork, but what's more inspiring to me is that Shepard, like myself, is a type one diabetic. I've recently undergone loads of complications after having the disease my whole life, and it's cool to read about another artist that's been in my shoes yet continues to pursue his artwork unapologetically. He's also a marketing guru in my opinion. He's been commissioned by the White House for Obama's inauguration artwork, and most people know him as the guy behind the controversial Obama face with the word “Hope” underneath it. He started his empire through grassroots street art and now has work hanging in reputable art museums.

I love Jeremy Fish's artwork too. I'm starting an illustration series loosely inspired by his artwork. Most of his work features mutations of animals/skulls/hobbies/objects. I own two of his t-shirts, and really want his book soon! He has a distinctive style, and operates the clothing line “SuperFishal”.

Lately I've also been a little more focused on “Dia De Los Muertos” style artwork. Since moving to San Diego, I've grown to appreciate the style a lot more than I did in the Northwest. My recent trip to Texas was similarly inspiring, tons of hand painted ceramics and Southwestern artwork. The advent of Halloween is fueling my work as well.

My good friend just started her Etsy shop, if you're into Day of the Dead style work, you'd love her stuff! It's called Inferno Creations. I own a few of her pieces and love them!


In other updates, I just spent a load of time re-photographing my jewelry on Etsy. I like the approach I took, but am unsure if the results are what I wanted them to be. As much as I like to call myself a photographer, product (mainly jewelry) photography is so difficult for me! I suppose that each time I photograph jewelry differently and I'm not satisfied, it's only adding to my learning experience. Frustrating though!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend! I'm going to spend mine doing some housework and getting to some custom orders I've been putting off for friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment